Twin Lakes Bible Camp

Twin Lakes Bible Camp
funplacetogetserious

Monday, March 22, 2010

hunger and thirst for righteousness

Be-attitude #4 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness
When I think of hunger, I think of the moment just before I decide that I want to go to the Pizza Ranch buffet. Because in that moment, I am hungry. Hungry enough to eat a dozen slices of pizza, a huge piece of fried chicken, salad, one more piece of pizza, and then desert pizza with ice cream on top. And so I do. And then I am not hungry any more, in fact I am beyond uncomfortable and close to sick.
This is not the kind of hunger that Jesus is talking about. He is trying to create a picture of constantly wanting more. Unsatisfiable hunger. Have you ever twirled a little kid around in your arms? What do they say? "Do it again!" So you do it again and they say, "do it again!" So you do it again and they say, "do it again!" So do you get the point or do I have to do it again?
The Greek "hoi" means to be satisfied yet want more. What Jesus is teaching us is to desire His righteousness, experience it, and want more of it. The closer I am to Him, the closer it makes me want to be. I am satisfied, but I want more.
And I want a piece of desert pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment